cook with us!
- Vegan Goat Cheese Quiche (EN)
- Schnelle vegane Ricotta-Spinat Wähe (DE)
- Leek & Mushroom Risotto (EN)
- Spinach salad with blood oranges & roasted veggies (EN+DE)
- Thyme & Lavender Vegan Ricotta Ravioli (EN)
- Cherry Tomato & Goat's Cheese Crostini (EN)
- Salad bowl with roasted sweet potatoes, figs & vegan goat cheese (EN+DE)
- Garlic & Herbes de Provence Cheese Bombs (EN)
- Pasta with Beets and Flower Sprouts (EN+DE)
250 gr unbleached white flour for pastry
50 gr buckwheat flour
2 tsp unrefined salt
1/2 tsp coconut sugar
1 Tbsp psyllium husk powder (not mandatory but helps to obtain a flaky consistency)
1 Tbsp black sesame seeds
3 Tbsp flax seeds powder (meal)
3 Tbsp vegan butter* or coconut oil softened but not liquid
100 ml ice cold water
More vegan butter or oil to grease the quiche tin.
2 New Roots Free-The-Goat Ch**ze nature or thyme and lavender
1 New Roots Free-The-Cow Herbes the Provence
180 gr sweet potatoes ( in this case I used purple potatoes)
4-6 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil divided
1/2 to 1 tsp of salt
1 large courgette sliced in ribbons with a peeler
100 gr asparagus, the soft part only.
a fresh salad of choice
pinch of salt
Preheat the oven to 200°C. Grease well the oven tin.
Wash the vegetables. Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into very small chunks. Rub with the with salt and 2-3 Tbsp olive oil and bake for 20 min.
While the potatoes cook.
Add all the crust dry ingredient to a mixing bowl, give it a stir and add the vegan butter/coconut oil. Work with a fork until the vegan butter is incorporated flour has a coarse consistency.
Then add little by little the ice-cold water. Keep working with the fork or with the tips of your finger, RUBBING not kneading. Add enough water until you have soft crumbles that will be then pressed into a crust.
Oil well the tart tray and start pressing your crumbles together into a 5 mm thick crust.
Cook on the lower rack at 180° C, for 10- 15minor until the edges are golden brown.
While your crust cooks.
Blend the sweet potatoes, add the New Root cheeses in crumbles and mix thoroughly. Season more salt if needed and spread it flat into the crust. With a peeler make the courgette in ribbons and distribute over the crust ( it may feel a lot of courgettes but they will significantly shrink). Clean the asparagus from the hard ends and distribute as well over the length of the tart. Oil the top of the quiche and the vegetables with 2-3 Tbsp of oil. Sprinkle some salt flakes on top too.
Cook for 10 min at 180°C and grill for 3-5 min at the max temperature. Serve warm or tepid with a fresh salad of choice.
*vegan butter is different from margarine as it is not chemically modified oil, the process of making the butter is solenly mecanical with addition of strches.
Schnelle vegane Ricotta-Spinat Wähe
original recipe by Apricots & Lemons
"Mit nur insgesamt fünf Zutaten und ein bisschen Gewürz gibt es eine leckere Wähe. Gebacken mit Kuchenteig gibt es ein leckeres Abendessen, mit Blätterteig eignet sie sich für feine Apéro-Häppchen.
Ich habe für dieses Rezept den veganen Ricotta-Käse von New Roots verwendet. Man kann natürlich auch selbst Ricotta machen, zum Beispiel nach diesem Rezept das ich online gefunden habe."
vorbereitung 10 mins
kochen 20 mins
total 30 mins
yield 2 personen
- 1 EL Olivenöl
- 1 Zwiebel
- 1 Knoblauchzehe
- 200g Spinat
- 120g veganen Ricotta
- Ein fertiger Kuchenteig / Blätterteig
- Eine Prise Muskatnuss
- Die Zwiebel schälen und kleinwürfeln.
- Eine Pfanne heiss werden lassen, Olivenöl erhitzen und dann die Zwiebeln auf mittlerer Stufe braten bis sie glasig werden.
- Den Knoblauchzehen schälen, pressen und zu den Zwiebelstücken geben. Zwei Minuten mitbraten lassen.
- Währenddessen den Spinat waschen und in feine Streifen schneiden. Anschliessend diesen ebenfalls in die Pfanne geben und unter Rühren so lange kochen, bis er zusammengefallen ist.
- Die Mischung vom Herd nehmen und zusammen mit dem Ricotta in eine Schüssel geben. Nun mit einer Gabel alles gut zerdrücken.
- Eine Prise Muskatnuss beigeben und mit Salz und Pfeffer abschmecken.
- Nun den Teig auf ein Backblech geben und mit einer Gabel ein paar Mal einstechen. Mein Backblech ist etwas kleiner als herkömmliche, nicht wundern
- Nun die Ricotta-Spinat Mischung gleichmässig auf dem Kuchenteig verteilen.
- Den Ofen auf 180 Grad bei Umluft vorheizen. Wenn er warm ist das Blech in die Mitte des Ofens schieben und für circa 20 Minuten backen. Die Wähe ist fertig, wenn der Teigrand etwas braun wird.
- Herausnehmen, etwas auskühlen lassen und geniessen
Leek and Mushroom Risotto
"Here I’ve used their Free-the-Goat Cheeze with Thyme and Lavender which completely elevates the whole thing. This wonderfully herby, fragrant vegan cheese mixes so well with the woody, earthy mushrooms and sweet petit pois.
It really couldn’t be simpler to make – just some chopped vegetables gently sauteed together till softened then rice and veg stock added…"
prep 10 mins
cook 20 mins
total 30 mins
yield 2 portions
- 2 leeks
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 300g closed cup mushrooms
- 2 large cloves garlic – crushed
- 150g easy cook long grain and wild rice mix
- 750ml vegetable stock
- 200g petit pois peas (fresh or frozen work perfectly!)
- 75g New Roots Free the Goat Cheeze with Thyme and Lavender
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel any tough or brown outer leaves from the leeks, split lengthways then thinly cut into half circles. Rinse well to remove any of the dirt that gets trapped in the layers and drain, shaking off any excess water
- In a large frying pan gently warm the olive oil then tip in all the leeks. Cook over a medium heat for a few minutes till they start to soften, stirring occasionally
- While the leeks are cooking, halve the mushrooms then roughly slice
- When the leeks are starting to soften add the mushrooms and crushed garlic and saute for just a couple more minutes
- Tip in the rice and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes
- Pour in the vegetable stock, stir well then leave to simmer till almost all the liquid is absorbed (around 15-20 minutes), stirring occasionally
- Stir in the petit pois peas just a minute or so before the liquid has all gone
- Once all the liquid is absorbed, stir in the vegan cheese and season to taste.
- Tip into 2 bowls, grab a fork and enjoy!
Spinach salad with blood oranges and roasted veggies
"I combined the blood oranges with roasted beets and carrots and also added some maple syrup, orange zest and fresh thyme to the veggies – this will give them the best flavor. Combined with fresh spinach (make sure to have the small baby spinach leaves), roasted hazelnuts and vegan cheese from New Roots (in my opinion the best you can get in Switzerland) – and all of it topped with the perfect Avocado."
- 2 red beets
- 3 carrots
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- fresh thyme
- zest of 1 organic orange
- 2 blood oranges
- 3 Tbsp hazelnuts roasted
- 1/2 Avocado
- 100 gr spinach (2-3- hand full)
- vegan goat cheese
- 50 ml Balsamic vinegar
- 100 ml olive oil
- 1 Tsp mustard
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 200 C (400 F)
- Peel the beets and carrots and cut into cubes
- Mix in a bowl with the oil, maple syrup, salt, pepper, fresh thyme and orange zest
- Add to a baking pan and roast for 25 minutes
- Cut the avocado and blood orange in slices/rings
- Wash the spinach and add to a plate with the veggies and oranges
- Sprinkle with the vegan cheese and the hazelnuts
- Add all ingredients into a jar and shake well
- Pour over the salad and enjoy
Thyme and lavender vegan ricotta ravioli
Prep: 45 min
Cook: 2 min
Serving: 35 raviolis (medium/large size)
TIME TO SHOP
❀ For the dough:
- 300g Flour
- 10g Olive Oil
- 5g Curcuma (for the yellow coloring)
- 200g Water
- 5g Salt
❀ For the filling:
- 100g Fresh Spinach
- 15 Cherry Tomatoes
- 120g Thyme & Lavender Ricotta from New Roots
- 5g Salt
TIME TO DOUGH
In a large bowl pour the flour, the salt, the curcuma and make a hole in the middle of the mix with your fingers or a spoon. Pour the oil and a bit of water. Mix everything and continue adding the water little by little. Knead the dough with your hands until the texture is smooth and homogeneous (it shouldn’t stick to your hands)
TIME TO GARNISH
Heat a pan with some olive oil. On low temperature, put the cherry tomatoes and the spinach to reduce. Cook this way for about 10 minutes until the juice of the cherry tomatoes come out.
Crush the ricotta with the back of a fork and mix it in a bowl with the spinach and cherry tomatoes.
TIME TO RAVIOLI
❀ Shape the raviolis:
Separate the ravioli dough into 4 equal parts and flat them out with a rolling pin as much as possible. The dough must be almost transparent (2mm thick).
With a ravioli cutter (or with a wine glass if you don’t have one) cut round shapes in the dough.
Place a teaspoon of garnish on each piece of cut out dough and close it on by welding it well between your fingers. Then seal it with the tip of a fork. Be careful not to leave any air inside of the ravioli.
❀ Cook the raviolis:
Bring a large pot of water to boil with salt and a drop of olive oil. When the water boils, gently put the ravioli in for about 1 to 2 minutes (they should rise to the top), then fish them out of the water with a strainer ladle.
Serve the raviolis with a drizzle of olive oil, some raw baby spinach leaves, two cherry tomatoes cut in quarters and a pinch of salt.
Cherry Tomato and Goat's Cheese crostini
"New Roots tangy goat’s cheese is just a heavenly contrast to the red wine roasted cherry tomatoes with a sprinkle of nutty camelina seeds."
prep 15 mins
cook 15 mins
total 30 mins
yield 20 crostini
- 1 baguette - this Rye Bread is lovely when toasted
- 1 cup/approximately 15 cherry tomatoes - halved
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 tblsp Hodmedod's Camelina Seeds
- Salt and pepper
- 120g New Roots Free-The-Goat Ch**ze
- Preheat the oven to 180 Fan / 200 C / 400 F / Gas 6
- Slice the baguette about 1cm thick, place flat on a baking tray in one layer, drizzle with a little olive oil over each slice then bake for 10-15 minutes.
Keep and eye on them, you want them just golden but not burnt! Leave to cool completely
- Put the halved cherry tomatoes into a small bowl and gently toss with the oregano, olive oil, vinegar, red wine, camelina seeds, a few grinds of black pepper and a sprinkle of sea salt
- Tip into a baking dish or tin and roast for 20 minutes.
You can use these warm or chilled - either is delicious!
- To serve, simply spread the goat's cheese on the crostini bases and top with a couple of halves of cherry tomatoes.
Drizzle a little of the juice in the baking tin over each crostini too. Yum!
Salad bowl with roasted sweet potatoes, figs and goat cheese
"The salad bowl I’m sharing with you today, has all it all: some fresh green baby leafs, juicy figs and berries, pan roasted sweet potatoes for some extra flavor, vegan “goat” cheese for a creamy texture and pan roasted almonds for some crunch. The Dressing was a simple balsamic vinaigrette with the addition of fresh thyme.
The vegan “goat” cheese is from New Roots and I really love their cheeses. If you are from Switzerland, make sure you try them. And this is not sponsored, I just think they make great cheeses with passion and if you might miss cheese since you became vegan or just want to try a vegan cheese for a change, this would be my recommendation."
For the salad:
- 1-2 sweet potatoes
- baby leaf salad
- handful almonds
- vegan "goat" cheese
For the dressing:
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tsp mustard
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 Tsp maple syrup
For the sweet potatoes:
- Wash and cut the potatoes in slices (half a centimeter)
- Brush them with a mixture from olive oil, paprika, salt & pepper
- Heat a grilling pan, add more olive oil and grill the sweet potatoes from both sides until browned
- You can add some fresh thyme leaves as well
- Remove from the pan and set aside
For the almonds:
- Keep the pan hot add more olive oil
- Add the almonds, salt & pepper and roast until brown
For the dressing:
- Add all ingredients to a glass and shake well
- Assemble the salad with the fresh figs, blackberries, roasted almonds and potatoes and crumbles of the cheese - Enjoy!
Garlic and herbes de provence cheese bombs
original recipe by The Cook and Him
"If you’re worried this is going to be a complicated recipe – don’t. It honestly couldn’t be more simple, or more tasty! Delicate pillows of pizza dough surrounding the truly wonderful thing that is New Roots vegan cheese. I’ve mentioned them before and I honestly can’t praise their cheeses enough."
prep 1 hour
cook 20 mins
total 1 hour, 20 mins
yield 12 rolls
- 3/4 cup tepid water (see note)
- 1 + 1/2 tsp dry active yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 1 New Roots Herbes de Provence cheeze
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme - leaves only
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- pinch salt
- Start with the dough. Put the tepid water into a large bowl or into the bowl of a stand mixer
- Whisk in the yeast and sugar, cover with a t-towel and leave for around 15 minutes until the surface is frothy
- Tip in the flour, salt and olive oil and mix either by hand, with a rubber spatula or the dough hook of your machine, to a smooth soft dough. Because we're using plain flour for a light, chewy dough you don't need to knead the heck out of it! Just mix until it forms a dough
- At this point you can transfer to a lightly oiled bowl and store, covered (with a t-towel or cling film), in the fridge for a couple of days. Otherwise cover the bowl with the t-towel again and leave to prove for 45 minutes
- Preheat oven to 200 Fan / 220 C / 425 F / Gas 7 and line a large baking tray with parchment or a silicon mat
- Tip the the dough onto a floured work surface and evenly divide into 12 pieces
- Using a floured rolling pin or floured hands roll or shape the dough into flatish discs
- Place a teaspoon of cheese into the centre of each disc then bring the dough up around the cheese, completely enveloping it
- Place each dough ball onto your tray seam side down spacing them evenly apart as they do grow during cooking!
- Once they're all shaped, stir together all the topping ingredients then spoon or gently brush over the top of each dough ball
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until puffed and golden
The water should be blood temperature - meaning when you put your finger in it you can't feel if it's hot or cold! If anything, err on the side of cold - too hot and you run the risk of killing the yeast.
Pasta with beets and flower sprouts
- 2 fresh beets
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- fresh rosemary
- zest of 1/2 orange
- 1 TBSP orange juice
- 2 hand full flower sprouts
- 2 red onions
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- some red wine
- vegan "goat" cheese
- Pasta (any variety you like)
- Peel the beets (best with gloves)
- Cut the fresh rosemary (ca. 1 twig)
- Cut the beets into small cubes, mix with the orange zest, juice, olive oil and season with salt and pepper
- Roast in the oven at 200 degree for 25 minutes
- In the meantime wash and prepare the Flower Sprouts blanch in salt water for 4-5 minutes
- Cut the onions in rings and roast in olive oil and deglaze with red wine
- Cook the pasta and add it to the onions
- Add the beets, Flower Sprouts and some of the vegan cheese and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve with the rest of the cheese.
VEGAN RICOTTA AND LEMON MUFFINS
Prep: 15 min
Bake: 17 min
Serving: 5 large muffins / 6 small
TIME TO SHOP
- 100g Flour
- 40g Powdered Brown sugar
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 1/3 tbsp Baking soda
- 25 ml Agave syrup
- 1 tbsp Unsweetened applesauce
- 60g Ricotta from New Roots
- Lemon Zest of half an organic lemon (better to use organic when using the skin)
- Lemon Juice of half a lemon
- 5 tbsp Water
- 1/4 tsp Baking powder
- Poppy seeds
Time to bake
❀ Preheat oven on 200°C
❀ In a bowl, mix the flour, the sugar and the baking powder.
❀ In another bowl, mix the apple sauce, the agave, the ricotta (smash it with a fork), the lemon zest and water.
❀ In small container, mix the olive oil, baking soda and lemon juice. Stir a little with a spoon until foam start to form.
❀ Pour the foamy mixture in with the apple sauce mix and stir a little.
❀ Slowly pour the full mixture in the initial flour one while whipping.
❀ Whip everything together until smooth (The batter should have a rather thick consistency)
❀ Pour the batter in the muffin molds, top with some poppy seeds, then pop in the oven for 17 minutes at 180°C.
The cooking time is very important to respect for the muffins to be fluffy and perfectly moist.